Sunday, November 15, 2009

dancing

I took my daughter to her first rock concert / dance marathon last night. It was fabulous. I love how much my daughter loves to dance and how she lacks any amount of inhibition. This concert included three bands from Portland and was advertised as a dance marathon, a fundraiser/senior project for my friend's son. The show included performances by The way downs, The quick and easy boys, and Ma Barley. I love dancing, love, love, love it. I do not get the opportunity to dance much these days so I was thrilled with the idea of an all ages concert. Autumn asked the other day if she could dance, and I told her never to ask me that again. If you feel like dancing, dance sweetie, you don't need permission to move your own body. Of all the ideas and dreams I have for my daughter the few that stick hard and fast are these: be comfortable in your own body, be uninhibited and refuse to settle into socialized norms, and dance when you want to dance (she seems to have grasped two out of three so far) I love that my daughter is growing up (nearly 4!) and I look forward to getting to know her as she gets to know herself.

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually like to dance, but will occasionally get really into it at a good concert. This past summer at a Rev. Peyton show, I was up most of the time, just by myself dancing. When a group of strangers came up and joined in, they each in turn asked me to dance and I, increasingly forcefully and rudely, rejected them.

    To add to your amazingly good list of things you’re teaching your daughter, I think this lesson is a good one too: you never have to dance with anyone you don’t want to.

    ReplyDelete